This year I wanted to post my new year's resolutions here and try to review them periodically. I'm thinking I'll make it work like the OKRs we have at work. Review them every quarter, grade them at the end of the year, and shoot for a score of 0.7:
- become bilingual - Joey and I are both trying to learn German which will become pretty key during our 3 months in Switzerland. I hope to take this a bit further and keep learning German as a second language throughout the year. (Don't worry, I won't forget my hacky Spanish)
- run 1000 miles this year - This is 1000 miles for each of us. We are getting outside and running every day now but it is time to start pushing ourselves. We've been doing 2 miles a day for a little while and 1000 puts us between 2 and 3 average miles for the whole year.
- have the dog and cats get along - We need to do a lot more training with Lola to make our household more peaceful again.
- be able to walk the dog off leash around the block - To accomplish this goal we need to walk the block in the daytime. Lola loves to be off leash and she does pretty well late at night around the neighborhood. However, it would be great to train her to stay on the sidewalk and recall immediately in case she gets in a dangerous situation.
- be able to take the dog to school for a whole day - You can see that Lola requires a lot of goals here. To achieve this she would need to be calm in both the lab and the office.
- finish all major housework - We have a lot of changes we want to make to the house right now. Most of this lies in the backyard which is just dirt and weeds. It would be nice to get the house and yard in a state where we can enjoy it without feeling the pressure of all the unfinished work.
So the short version is: improve our brain, improve our health, improve our dog, improve our house. Sounds like fun.
And to convince you that I just won't forget about these here are the ones I had from last year:
- lose 10 pounds
- get ready for bed at 11pm every night
- get happier at work
I didn't post them or review them during the year, but I didn't do half bad. I lost the 10 pounds and have moved to a better team at work. I did not get to bed at 11 every night (not even close) but a 0.67 is pretty good.
I hope I do as well this time... it is going to be quite a year!